In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dacre like this:
DACRE, a township-chapelry and a sub-district, in Pateley-Bridge district, W. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry is in Ripon parish; lies on the river Nidd and the Nidd Valley railway, 4 miles SE by S of Pateley-Bridge; has a station of the name of Dacre-Banks, on the railway; and contains the hamlets of Hayshaw and the Heights. Post town, Birstwith, under Ripley. Acres, 5, 290. Real property, £4, 026. Pop., 739. Houses, 138. Many of the inhabitants are employed in lead mines and in the linen manufacture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £95.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. The church was built in 1837. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £12. The sub-district bears the name of Dacre-Banks; and includes a township of Kirkby-Malzeard parish and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 11, 660. Pop., 3, 071. Houses, 582.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dacre has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Harrogate. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dacre and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dacre, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dacre".