Place:


Cowthorpe  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowthorpe like this:

COWTHORP, a parish in Knaresborough district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Nidd, 3 miles NNE of Wetherby r. station. Post town, Wetherby, under Tadcaster. Acres, 1, 323. Real property, £1, 450. Pop., 141. Houses, 27. The property is divided among a few. An oak, on the estate of Lord Petre here, has a girth of 60 feet; and, previous to the destruction of its largest branch by a storm in 1718, spread over half an acre. ...


A stag's head, measuring 6 feet from tip to tip of the horns, was found in 1749. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £130. Patron, A. F. W. Montagu, Esq. The church is later English; has a double canopied brass of Judge Roucliffe, 1494; and is very good.

Cowthorpe through time

Cowthorpe is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowthorpe, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12233

Date accessed: 23rd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowthorpe ".