Place:


Cowling  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowling like this:

COWLING, a township and a chapelry in Kildwick parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjacent to the boundary with Lancashire, 3 miles W by S of Kildwick r. station, and 5¼ SSW of Skipton; includes the hamlets of Cowling-Hill and Ickornshaw; and has a post office under Leeds. Acres, 4, 512. ...


Real property, £4, 498. Pop. 1,815. Houses, 376. The property is much subdivided. Most of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton manufacture. The chapelry was constituted in 1844; and is less extensive than the township. Pop., 1, 729. Houses, 353. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern; and a school has £17 from endowment.

Cowling through time

Cowling is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowling, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12231

Date accessed: 20th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowling ".