Place:


Withington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Withington like this:

WITHINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies 4 miles S of Manchester r. station; has a post-office‡ under Manchester; and includes Fallowfield, which also has a post-office under Manchester. Acres, 2,498. Real property, £16,747. Pop. in 1851, 1,492; in 1861, 2,712,-of whom 771 were in Chorlton workhouse. ...


Houses, 347. The manor belongs to Lord Egerton. There are numerous villas and other good residences. Chorlton workhouse here was built in 1855, at a cost of about £53,000. The Lancashire Independent College also is here, but has been noticed in our article on Hulme.—The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 2,775. Houses, 359. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £362.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1841. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Withington through time

Withington is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Withington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Withington, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1223

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Withington ".