Place:


Fillingham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fillingham like this:

FILLINGHAM, a village and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincolnshire. The village stands under a hill-range, near Ermine-street and the Lincoln and Althorpe railway, 9 miles N by W of Lincoln; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lincoln. The parish comprises 3, 980 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 805. Pop., 316. Houses, 60. The property is mostly in one estate. Summer Castle here was built, in 1760, by Sir Cecil Wray, Bart.; is a castellated structure, in embattled style; stands on an eminence, commanding extensive views; and has a wooded and well-watered park. Vestiges exist of a Roman camp; and coins, spears, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £709.* Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church is of the 14th century, much disfigured by repairs.

Fillingham through time

Fillingham is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fillingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fillingham, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12221

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fillingham ".