Place:


Wilsden  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilsden like this:

WILSDEN, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bradford parish and district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3 miles SSW of Bingley r. station, and 5 WNW of Bradford; and has a post-office under Bingley. The township contains also the villages of Cullingworth-Gate, Lingbob, Manuel-Heights, Hewenden, Harecrofts, Birkshead, Norr, and Hallas-Bridge; and comprises 2,450 acres. ...


Pop. in 1851, 3,454; in 1861, 2,888. Houses, 588. The decrease of pop. was caused by reduction of hands in factories. The manor belongs to W. B. Ferrand, Esq. Worsted-spinning and the manufacture of stuffs are carried on. -The chapelry and the sub-district consist of W. and Allerton townships. Acres, 4,420. Pop. in 1851, 5,495; in 1861, 4,902. Houses, 1,021. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Bradford. The church is modern, in the later English style, with a pinnacled tower. There are five dissenting chapels and national and British schools.

Wilsden through time

Wilsden is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilsden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilsden, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1221

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilsden ".