Place:


Clay Cross  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clay Cross like this:

CLAYCROSS, or Claylane, a township and a chapelry in North Wingfield parish, Derby. The township lies on the Midland railway, 4½ miles S of Chesterfield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Chesterfield, both of the name of Claycross. Pop., 4, 096. Houses, 709. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1852, and is more extensive than the township. Rated property, £8, 213. Pop., 4, 922. Houses, 875. The property is much subdivided. Extensive collieries and iron-works are here; and have British schools, with institute and public hall, built at a cost of £4, 000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of North Wingfield. The church was built in 1851, and is in the early English style. There are three Methodist chapels.

Clay Cross through time

Clay Cross is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clay Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clay Cross in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/122

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clay Cross ".