Place:


Wylye  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wylye like this:

WYLYE, or Wiley, a parish, with W. village and Deptford tything, in Wilton district, Wilts; on the river Wiley at Wiley r. station, 7¼ miles NW by W of Wilton. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 2,279. Rated property, £3,203. Pop., 489. Houses, 118. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. ...


An inn is at Deptford; and there are extensive ancient entrenchments, called Badbury Ring and Yarnbury. The. living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £492.* Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was rebuilt in 1844. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £10.

Wylye through time

Wylye is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wylye itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wylye, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12185

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wylye ".