Place:


Edenham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edenham like this:

EDENHAM, a parish in Bourn district, Lincoln; on the river Glen, at the terminus of a branch railway from the Great Northern, 2½ miles NW of Bourn. It includes the hamlets of Grimsthorpe, Ellsthorpe, and Scottlethorpe; and has a post office under Bourn, and a railway station; the branch railway from it going south-westward into junction with the Great Northern at Little Bytham. ...


Acres, 6, 844. Real property, £10, 398. Pop., 644. Houses, 128. The property is all in one estate. Grimsthorpe Castle is the seat of Lord Willoughby d'Eresby, and is a very handsome edifice, in a park of about 6 miles in circuit. A Cistertian abbey formerly stood in the park, about a mile from the mansion; was founded, about the year 1451, by William, Earl of Albemarle; bore the name of Vallis Dei, vulgarly corrupted into Vaudey; and is now represented by only three or four large sculptured stones. A mineral well in the parish was, at one time, much frequented by invalids, but went into disrepute. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Willoughby d'Eresby. The church is early and later English. There are a public school, a library and reading room , and charities £17.

Edenham through time

Edenham is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edenham, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12183

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edenham ".