In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterbourne Bassett like this:
WINTERBOURNE-BASSETT, a parish in Marlborough district, Wilts; 5 miles SSE of Wootton-Bassett r. station. It has a post-office under Swindon. Acres, 2,210. Real property, £2,762. Pop., 249. Houses, 58. The property is all in one estate. Many barrows and Druidical stones are on the downs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £634. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1857.
Winterbourne Bassett is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winterbourne Bassett itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterbourne Bassett, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winterbourne Bassett ".