Place:


Wilsford  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilsford like this:

WILSFORD, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, 1¾ mile SW of Amesbury, and 5 NW of Porton r. station. Post town, Amesbury, under Salisbury. Acres, 1,591. Rated property, £1,465. Pop., 140. Houses, 26. W. House is the seat of G. Loder, Esq. Lake House was the seat of the antiquary Duke, author of the "Druidical Temples of Wilts;'' and is now the seat of the Rev. E. Duke. Many barrows are on the downs. The living is a vicarage, united with Woodford, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £420.* Patron, the Bishop of S. The church was repaired in 1858.

Wilsford through time

Wilsford is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilsford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilsford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12153

Date accessed: 12th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilsford ".