In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tollard Royal like this:
TOLLARD-ROYAL, a parish, partly in Tisbury district, Wilts, and partly in Wimborne district, Dorset; 7 miles S of Tisbury r. station. It has a post-office under Salisbury. Acres of the W. part, 1,190; of the D. part, which is Farnham-Tollard, 897. Pop., 377 and 217. Houses, 79 and 52. Rated property of the whole, £2,192. The property is subdivided. A hunting seat of King John was here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £570.* Patron, the Rev. J. H. Austen. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tollard Royal has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tollard Royal and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tollard Royal, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tollard Royal".