In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shalbourne like this:
SHALBOURN, a village in Berks, and a parish partly also in Wilts; but all in Hungerford district. The village stands near Wans dyke, 2¾ miles E of Bedwyn r. station, and 4 S S W of Hungerford; and has a post-office under Hungerford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bagshot and Oxenwood in Berks, and the hamlet of Newtown in Wilts. Acres of the B. portion, 2, 550; of the W. portion, 2, 805. Real property of the whole, £6, 879. Pop., 506 and 506. Houses, 105 and 113. Much of the property belongs to the Marquis of Ailesbury. Prosperous farm was the scene of the agriculturalexperiments of Jethro Tull. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £428.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is good; and there are a parochial school, and charities £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shalbourne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shalbourne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shalbourne, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shalbourne".