Place:


Preshute  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preshute like this:

PRESHUTE, a parish in Marlborough district, Wilts; on the river Kennet, 1¼ mile S W of Marlborough r. station. It includes Clatford, Elcot, and Manton tythings; and is within Marlborough parliamentary borough. Post-town, Marlborough. Acres, 5, 351. Real property, with Savernake Park, £10, 223. ...


Pop., 1, 209. Houses, 177. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £186. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is partly Norman, and in good condition; and has a brass of 1518.The Marlborough workhouse is here. There are a national school, and charities £6.

Preshute through time

Preshute is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preshute itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preshute, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12065

Date accessed: 21st September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preshute ".