Place:


Plaitford  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Plaitford like this:

PLAITFORD, a parish in the district of Romsey and county of Wilts; adjacent to Hants, 5 miles W by S of Romsey r. station. Post-town, Romsey. Acres, 1, 178. Rated property, £800. Pop. in 1851, 330; in 1861, 248. Houses, 45. The decrease of pop. was caused mainly by the demolition of cottages. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £345. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is good; and there is a national school.

Plaitford through time

Plaitford is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Plaitford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plaitford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12062

Date accessed: 25th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Plaitford ".