Place:


Dunston  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dunston like this:

DUNSTON, a parish in the district and county of Lincoln; on a branch of the river Witham, near Duns Dyke, 5 miles WSW of Stixwould r. station, and 8 SE by S of Lincoln. It has a post office under Sleaford. Acres, 4, 620. Real property, £4, 108. Pop., 575. Houses, 108. The property is divided among a few. ...


Much of the land, now enclosed and cultivated, was formerly a dismal waste; and a pillar, 92 feet high, close to the public road through it, was erected in 1751, as a land-mark. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £151.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. A lepers' hospital was founded here in the time of Henry III.

Dunston through time

Dunston is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dunston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunston, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12054

Date accessed: 23rd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dunston ".