Place:


Nunton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nunton like this:

NUNTON-WITH-BODENHAM, a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, 2½ miles S S E of Salisbury r. station. It contains the hamlets of Nunton and Bodenham, the latter of which has a post-office under Salisbury. Acres, with Downton parish and Langley-Wood extra-parochial tract, 13, 221. ...


Real property, with Charlton, £3, 531. Rated property of N.with-B. alone, £1, 382. Pop., 282. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. New Hall belonged formerly to J. T. Batt, Esq.; belongs now to Major-General Buckley; and contains a valuable collection of pictures. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Downton, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church was recently restored by Wyatt, and contains a monument of J. T. Batt, Esq. There are a Baptist chapel, and a national school.

Nunton through time

Nunton is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nunton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nunton, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12037

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nunton ".