Place:


Denton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Denton like this:

DENTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Grantham district, Lincoln. The village stands on the Salter's Roman road, near the Grantham canal and the boundary with Leicester, 3¾ miles S of Sedgebrook r. station, and 4 SW of Grantham; and has a post office under Grantham. The parish comprises 2, 600 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 553. Pop., 637. Houses, 125. Denton Hall, the seat of the Welby family, is an elegant mansion, mainly rebuilt in 1817; and occupies a commanding site, amid finely wooded grounds. There are a mineral spring and three fish-ponds. A Roman tesselated pavement, 30 feet square, was found in 1727. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £756.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church has a fine tower; and contains monuments of the Welbys and the Williamses. An almshouse has £19 from endowment; and other charities £82.—The sub-district contains fifteen parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 36, 512. Pop., 7, 225. Houses, 1, 467.

Denton through time

Denton is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Denton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denton, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12032

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Denton ".