Place:


Deeping St Nicholas  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Deeping St Nicholas like this:

DEEPIN FEN, a fen and a chapelry in Bourn district, Lincoln. The fen lies on the North Drove and the South Drove drains, between Market-Deeping and Spalding; and comprises upwards of 30, 000 acres. About one-half consists of enclosed commons, included in parishes; and the rest is extra-parochial. ...


The chapelry comprises the extra-parochial part; was constituted in 1846; bears the alternative name of Deeping-St. Nicholas; lies adjacent to North Drove railway station, and 5 miles WSW of Spalding; and has a post office, of the name of Deeping-St. Nicholas, under Spalding. Acres, 16, 290. Real property, £27, 681. Pop., 1, 180. Houses, 184. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £210. Patrons, the Trustees of the late W. Stevenson, Esq. The church was built in 1846.

Deeping St Nicholas through time

Deeping St Nicholas is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Deeping St Nicholas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deeping St Nicholas, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12023

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Deeping St Nicholas ".