Place:


Minety  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Minety like this:

MINETY, or MINTY, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands near the ancient forest of Bredon, and near the Swindon and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway, 3¾ miles SW of the boundary with Gloucestershire, and 5½ ENE of Malmsbury; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office under Malmsbury. ...


The parish comprises 3,470 acres. Real property, £7,293. Pop., 182. Houses, 169. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Capt. Arthur Mullings. Minety House is a chief residence. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. * Patron, the Archdeacon of Wilts. The church is later English, in fair condition, with a tower; and contains a piscina, and a brass and monuments of the Powletts, the Pleydells, and others. Charities, £40. Admiral Penn's father was a resident.

Minety through time

Minety is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Minety itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Minety in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12016

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Minety ".