Place:


Cowbit  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowbit like this:

COWBIT, a village and a parish in Spalding district, Lincoln. The village stands near the Welland navgation and the March and Spalding railway, 3½ miles SSE of Spalding, and 5 NNE of Crowland; and has a post office under Spalding, and a r. station. The parish includes also Peakhill hamlet, and allotments in Pinchbeck North Fen. ...


Acres, 4, 590. Real property, £4, 591. Pop., 649. Houses, 141. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £625.* Patrons, Feoffees. The church was built in 1486; and has a tower with a groined roof, and an octagonal panelled font. There is a Weslenan chapel. A school has £55 from endowment: and other charities £30.

Cowbit through time

Cowbit is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowbit itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowbit, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12005

Date accessed: 18th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowbit ".