In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Catton like this:
CATTON, two townships in Pocklington district, and a parish in Pocklington and York districts, E. R. Yorkshire. The townships are High and Low Catton; they lie contiguous to each other; and the latter is on the river Derwent, 1 mile S of Stamford-Bridge r. station, and 7 E by N of York. Acres, 1,640 and 2,140. Real property, £1,819 and £1,661. Pop., 215 and 179. Houses, 42 and 33. The parish contains also the townships of East Stamford-Bridge, Kexby, and Stamford-Bridge-with-Scoreby; and has post offices at Stamford-Bridge and Kexby, both under York. ...
Acres, 8,102. Real property, £9,623; of which £181 are in quarries. Pop. 1,189. Houses, 223. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £410.-Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is tolerable. The vicarage of Kexby is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £25, and other charities with £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Catton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Catton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Catton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Catton".