Place:


Milton Lilbourne  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton Lilbourne like this:

MILTON-LILBORNE, a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts; on a head-stream of the river Avon, the Wilts and Somerset railway, and the Kennet and Avon canal, 2 miles E of Pewsey r. station. It contains the hamlet of Clinch; and its Post town is Pewsey, under Marlborough. Acres, 3,502. Real property, £4,800. ...


Pop., 697. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to the Marquis of Ailesbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £111. Patron, the Rev. J. H. Gale. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was reported in 1859 as not good. There is a national school.

Milton Lilbourne through time

Milton Lilbourne is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton Lilbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton Lilbourne, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11979

Date accessed: 28th May 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton Lilbourne ".