Place:


Mildenhall  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mildenhall like this:

MILDENHALL, a parish in Marlborough district, Wilts; on the river Kennet, 2 miles ENE of Marlborough r. station. It contains the tythings of Poulton and Stitchcomb, and has a post office under Marlborough. Acres, 4,025. Real property, £4,295. Pop., 466. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. The surface is hilly, and consists partly of chalk downs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £756.* Patron, Soames, Esq. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There are an endowed school with £100 a year, and charities £5.

Mildenhall through time

Mildenhall is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mildenhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mildenhall, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11977

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mildenhall ".