Place:


Corby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Corby like this:

CORBY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Bourn district, Lincoln. The village stands on the river Glen, and on the Roman road to Ancaster, adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 8¼ miles SSE of Grantham; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Grantham, and fairs on 26 Aug. ...


and the Monday before 11 Oct. -The parish comprises 2, 726 acres. Real property, £4, 607. Pop., 818. Houses, 169. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Irnham, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is decorated English; was partially restored in 1861; and has a square pinnacled tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics. A grammar school, founded in 1669, has £48 from endowment; and other charities £11.—The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 20, 103. Pop., 3, 396. Houses, 672

Corby through time

Corby is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Corby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Corby, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11961

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Corby ".