Place:


Colsterworth  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colsterworth like this:

COLSTERWORTH, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Grantham district, Lincoln. The township bears the name of Colsterworth-with-Woolsthorpe; lies on the river Witham, and on the High Lyke Roman way, 4 miles W of Corby r. station, and 8 S of Grantham; and has a post office, ‡ of the name of Colsterworth, under Grantham. ...


The parish includes also the hamlet of Twyford. Acres, 3, 300. Real property, £4, 084. Pop., 1, 163. Houses, 274. The manor of Woolsthorpe belonged to the father of Sir Isaac Newton; and the manor-house, now a farm-house, still standing, was Sir Isaac's birthplace. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £585.* Patron, the Prebendary of South Grantham. The church is chiefly early English; has a tower; and was recently restored. There are two Methodist chapels. A school has £30 from endowment. Walker, the author of the "English Particles, " was rector.—The sub-district contains seventeen parishes, Acres, 35, 320. Pop., 5, 391. Houses, 1, 163.

Colsterworth through time

Colsterworth is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colsterworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colsterworth, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11956

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colsterworth ".