Place:


Stapleton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stapleton like this:

STAPLETON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Clifton district, Gloucester. The village stands midway between the Bristoland Gloucester and the Bristol and South Wales Union railways, 2 miles NE of Bristol; and has a post-office under Bristol.—The parish comprises 2,554 acres. Real property, £11,914; of which £258 are in mines, and £155 in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 4,840; in 1861, 5,355,-of whom 51 5 were in Clifton workhouse, 845 in Bristol workhouse, and 154 in Bristol lunatic asylum. Houses, 796. There are numerous good residences. A pa1ace for the Bishops of Gloucester and Bristol was built in 1840, and is now a charity school for 120 boys. The living is a p. curacy, united with Fishponds chapelry, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £190.* Patron, Sir J. H. G. Smyth, Bart. The church was built in 1856; and is in the decorated style, with tower and lofty spire. A section, with a pop. of 546, is in Easton chapelry. There are a diocesan training school, three national schools, and charities £69. Hannah More was a native.—The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 8,819. Pop., 9,184. Houses, 1,653.

Stapleton through time

Stapleton is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stapleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stapleton, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1194

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stapleton ".