Place:


Clee  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clee like this:

CLEE, a township and a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln. The township bears the name of Clee-with-Weelsby; and lies on the coast, and on the East Lincoln railway, 1½ mile SE of Great Grimsby. Pop., 325. Houses, 67. The parish contains also the township of Cleethorpes-with-Thrunscoe; and its post town is Grimsby. ...


Acres, 9, 790; of which 6, 210 are water. Rated property, £4, 435. Pop., 1, 555. Houses, 335. The property is divided among a few. The sea has made great encroachment; an expanse of sand, 2 miles broad, comes up to Clee-Ness, at the mouth of the Humber; and the Black Beacon, 60 feet high, crowns a neighbouring ridge. A number of deep fountains, called Blow wells, vulgarly alleged to be unfathomable, emit perennial streams of pure water. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is cruciform and partly Norman; has a western tower; and contains a curious font, inscribed with the date 1192. See Cleethorpes.

Clee through time

Clee is now part of North East Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clee itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clee in North East Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11938

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clee ".