Place:


Mangotsfield  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mangotsfield like this:

MANGOTSFIELD, a village and a parish in the district of Keynsham and county of Gloucester. The village stands adjacent to the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 6 miles N E of Bristol; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bristol. The parish contains also Staplehill and Downend. ...


Acres, 2,591. Real property, £9,975; of which £30 are in quarries, £500 in mines, and £65 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851,3,967; in 1861,4,222. Houses, 922. The property is much subdivided. There are numerous good residences. Pennant stone is worked in the N; and the coal tract of Kingswood adjoins the S. There was anciently a nunnery; and remains of it existed in the time of Leland. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Downend, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £251. Patron, the Rev. A. Peache. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1850: is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, N aisle, chantry, and chancel, with tower and spire. A chapel of ease, with 1,020 sittings, is at Downend. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, two national schools, an infant school, and an Independent day school. A police station is at Staplehill.

Mangotsfield through time

Mangotsfield is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mangotsfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mangotsfield in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1193

Date accessed: 22nd November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mangotsfield ".