Place:


Byland Abbey  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Byland Abbey like this:

BYLAND-ABBEY, a township in Coxwold parish, N. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to the Malton and Driffield railway, at Coxwold station, 8½ miles ESE of Thirsk. Acres, 3,130. Real property, £3,392. Pop., 104. Houses, 21. A Cistertian Abbey was removed hither, in 1147, from Old Byland; and given, at the dissolution, to Sir William Pykering. ...


The west front, one end of the transept, part of the aisles, and a fragment of the central tower, still stand; and are in transitional Norman. Edward II., while dining here with a small retinue, in 1323, was surprised by a body of Scots, and made a narrow escape.

Byland Abbey through time

Byland Abbey is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Byland Abbey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Byland Abbey, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11918

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Byland Abbey ".