Place:


Butterwick  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butterwick like this:

BUTTERWICK, a township-chapelry in Foxholes parish, E. R. Yorkshire; 5½ miles SSE of Sherburn r. station, and 10 N of Great Driffield. Post Town, Weaverthorpe, under York. Acres, 1,540. Real property, £1,613. Pop., 109. Houses, 16. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £47. Patron, the Rector of Foxholes. The church has an effigies of a knight.

Butterwick through time

Butterwick is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Butterwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butterwick, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11914

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Butterwick ".