Place:


Burythorpe  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burythorpe like this:

BURYTHORPE, a parish in the district of Malton and E. R. Yorkshire; near the river Derwent, 3¼ miles E by S of Kirkham r. station, and 5 S of New Malton. It includes the hamlet of Thornthorpe; and its Post Town is Kirkham, under York. Acres, 1,225. Real property, £1,561. Pop., 265. ...


Houses, 52. The property is divided among ten. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £270. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1858; is a handsome edifice in the early English style; and contains an ancient Norman font, which belonged to a previous church. There is a Wesleyan chapel

Burythorpe through time

Burythorpe is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burythorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burythorpe, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11895

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burythorpe ".