Place:


Burton in Lonsdale  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton in Lonsdale like this:

BURTON-IN-LONSDALE, or Black-Burton, a township-chapelry in Thornton-in-Lonsdale parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Greta, adjacent to the Midland railway, 3 miles WNW of High Bentham r. station, and 12 NW by W of Settle. It has a post office, of the name of Burton-in-Lonsdale, under Lancaster. Acres, 1,380. Real property, £3,153. Pop., 597. Houses, 134. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £94. Patron, the Vicar of Thornton. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel and endowed schools.

Burton in Lonsdale through time

Burton in Lonsdale is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton in Lonsdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton in Lonsdale, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11883

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton in Lonsdale ".