Place:


Burton Agnes  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton Agnes like this:

BURTON-AGNES, a township and a parish in Bridington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Hull and Scarborough railway, 5¼ miles SW of Bridington; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hull. Acres, 2,499. Real property, £4,035. Pop., 344. Houses, 61. ...


The parish contains also the townships of Haisthorpe, Thornholme, and Gransmoor. Acres, 6,409. Real property, £9,098. Pop., 723. Houses, 119. The property is divided between two. Burton-Agnes Hall is the seat of Sir H. Boynton, Bart.; was built by Inigo Jones; and stands on a fine slope of the Wolds, forming a striking object from the railway. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Harpham, in the diocese of York. Value, £897.* Patron, the Hon. and Rev. A. Duncombe. The church has a nave of three bays, and a good western tower; contains a Norman font, an altar-tomb of 1336, and a tomb with effigies of 1481; and was restored by Archdeacon Robert Wilberforce. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £21 a year, and charities £40.

Burton Agnes through time

Burton Agnes is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton Agnes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton Agnes, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11879

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton Agnes ".