In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilmarton like this:
HILLMARTON, a village and a parish in Calne district, Wilts. The village stands 3½ miles NNE of Calne r. station, and 7 SW by W of Wootton-Bassett; and has a post office under Calne.The parish includes also the hamlets of Catcomb, Corton, Beversbrook, Goatacre, Pen, and Cleveancy. ...
Acres, 4, 182. Real property, £7, 727. Pop., 787. Houses, 181. The manor belongs to Thomas H. A. Poynder, Esq. Brick clay occurs, and building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £399. Patron, the Crown. The church is later English, and was restored by the late Thomas Poynder, Esq. Chapels were formerly at Corton and Whitcombe. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £14.
Hilmarton is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hilmarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilmarton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hilmarton ".