Place:


Brotton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brotton like this:

BROTTON, a township and a parish in Guisbrough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, adjacent to Saltburn r. station, 6 miles NE by E of Guisbrough; and has a post office under Redcar. Acres, 2,291; of which 319 are water. Real property, £2,412. Pop., 330. Houses, 76. ...


The parish contains also the townships of Hilton and Skinningrove. Acres, 4,105. Real property, £4,424. Pop., 509. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop. The church commands a pleasant view.

Brotton through time

Brotton is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brotton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brotton, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11796

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brotton ".