Place:


Brompton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brompton like this:

BROMPTON, a township and a parish in Scarborough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Derwent, 2½ miles N by W of Ganton r. station, and 8 SW by W of Scarborough; and it has a post office under York, and is a seat of petty sessions. Pop., 538. Houses, 117. The parish contains also the townships of Snainton, Troutsdale, and Sawdon. ...


Acres, 10,180. Real property, £11,487. Pop., 1,484. Houses, 318. The property is divided among a few. The manor was a royal domain of the Northumbrian kings; had a seat of theirs on an eminence, called Castle-hill; and passed to the Cliffords and the Cayleys. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Swainton, in the diocese of York. Value, £103. Patron, Sir G. Cayley, Bart. The church is spacious and elegant. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £7. John de Brompton, the Cistercian monk, who wrote a history of England, was a native.

Brompton through time

Brompton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brompton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brompton, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11791

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brompton ".