Place:


Brodsworth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brodsworth like this:

BRODSWORTH, a township and a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4¾ miles W by N. of Arksey r. station, and 5½ NW by N of Doncaster; and has a post office under Doncaster. The parish includes also the hamlets of Pigburn and Scansby. Acres, 3,170. Real property, £3,380. ...


Pop., 412. Houses, 87. The property is divided among a few. Brodsworth Park belonged to the Earls of Kinnoul; passed by sale to Peter Thellusson, Esq., who died in 1798, bequeathing it to be under trustees for three generations; but, through judgment of the Lord Chancellor, was inherited by his son, Lord Rendlesham. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £472.* Patron, the Archbishop. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £15.

Brodsworth through time

Brodsworth is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brodsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brodsworth, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11789

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brodsworth ".