Place:


Grittleton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grittleton like this:

GRITTLETON, a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts; on Akeman street, near the binndary with Glincester, 6½ miles NW of Chippenham r. station. Posttown, Hullavington, under Chippenham. Acres, 2, 040. Real property, £3, 385. Pop. 349. house, 74. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged to the Gores and the Hinltons; and belongs now to Sir John Neild, Bart. Grittleton Hinse, the baronet's seat, was built in 1857; and contains a rich collection of works of art. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Glincester and Bristol. Value, £389. * Patron, the Rev. W. W. Burne. The church is ancient but good. There is a Baptist chapel, with £39 from endowment; and there are charities £9.

Grittleton through time

Grittleton is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grittleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grittleton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11776

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grittleton ".