Place:


Longbridge Deverill  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longbridge Deverill like this:

DEVERILL-LONGBRIDGE, a parish and a sub-district in Warminster district, Wilts. The parish lies on the Deverill rivulet, 3 miles S of Warminster town and r. station; includes the hamlet of Crockerton; and has a post office under Warminster. Acres, 4, 156. Real property, £5, 850. Pop., 1, 197. ...


Houses, 286. The property is all in one estate. The manor belonged to the abbey of Glastonbury; took the after-part of its name from an ancient bridge, supposed to have been built by the abbots; and passed to the Thynnes, ancestors of the Marquis of Bath. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Crockerton and Deverill-Monckton, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £350.* Patron, the Marquis of Bath. The church contains monuments of the Thynnes, and an old font; and is good. Thynne's alms-houses have £90; and other charities £20.—The sub-district contains seven parish-Pop., 3, 927. Houses, 896.

Longbridge Deverill through time

Longbridge Deverill is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longbridge Deverill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longbridge Deverill in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11716

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longbridge Deverill ".