Place:


Christian Malford  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Christian Malford like this:

CHRISTIAN-MALFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Chippenham district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 4½ miles NE of Chippenham; and has a post office under Chippenham. The parish comprises 3, 104 acres. Real property, £6, 900. ...


Pop., 898. Houses, 203. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to Glastonbury abbey. The parish is a meet for the Beaufort hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £672.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is good; and there is an Independent chapel. -The sub-district contains seven parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 12, 609. Pop., 3, 190. Houses, 700.

Christian Malford through time

Christian Malford is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Christian Malford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Christian Malford in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11688

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Christian Malford ".