Place:


Brayton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brayton like this:

BRAYTON, a township and a parish in Selby district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Selby canal, between the rivers Ouse and Aire, and on the Leeds and Selby railway, 1½ mile WSW of Selby. Acres, 1,790. Real property, £2,976. Pop., 367. Houses, 80. The parish contains also the townships of Gateforth, Hambleton, Thorpe-Willoughby, Burn, and Barlow; and its Post Town is Selby. ...


Acres, 10,820. Real property, £15,983. Pop., 1,794. Houses, 376. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £355.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is of various dates and character, from Norman downward; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with lofty west steeple; shows much beautiful Norman work; is in very good condition; and contains a fine sculptured font of 1861. The chapelries of Gateforth and Barlow are separate benefices. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £41.

Brayton through time

Brayton is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brayton, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11673

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brayton ".