Place:


Horfield  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horfield like this:

HORFIELD, a village and a parish in Clifton district, Gloucester. The village stands near the Bristol and Passage railway, 2 miles NNE of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol, and a police station. The parish comprises 1, 287 acres. Real property, £5, 731. Pop. in 1851, 1, 221; in 1861, 1, 746. ...


Houses, 248. The increase of pop. arose from railway operations and the extension of buildings. The property is divided among a few. The chief landowners are Bishop Monk's trustees. Infantry and cavalry barracks are here, with accommodation for 500 men; and, at the census of 1861, they had 389 inmates. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £186.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1847, and has a tower. A memorial church, in the decorated English style, with 220 sittings, was erected in 1862. The vicarage of Bishopston is a separate benefice. There is a national school. Seyer, the historian of Bristol, was incumbent.

Horfield through time

Horfield is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horfield, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1167

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horfield ".