Place:


Brandesburton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brandesburton like this:

BRANDESBURTON, or Brandsburton, a village a township, a parish and a subdistrict, in the district of Skirlaugh, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 6 miles E of Lockington r. station, and 8 NE of Beverley; and l as a post office under Beverley. It is a seat of petty sessions; and has a fair on 14 May.-The township comprises 4,562 acres. ...


Real property, £6,798. Pop., 784. Houses, 155. The parish includes also the township of Moor-Town. Acres, 5,060. Real property, £7,275. Pop., 811. Houses, 159. The property is divided among a few. The manor was bequeathed in 1601, by Lady Dacres, to Emmanuel hospital, Westminster. Brandesburton moor is a meet for the Holderness hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £895.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, and has two brasses of 1364. There are an Independent chapel and an endowed school; and the latter has £25, other charities £16.-The subdistrict contains three parishes and parts of four others. Acres, 12,886. Pop., 1,616. Houses, 306.

Brandesburton through time

Brandesburton is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brandesburton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brandesburton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11663

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brandesburton ".