In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Braithwell like this:
BRAITHWELL, a village and a township in Doncaster district; and a parish in Doncaster and Rotherham districts, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2½ miles SSE of Conisbrough r. station, and 4¾ W by N of Tick hill; and has a post office under Rotherham. The township includes also the hamlet of Micklebring. Acres, 1,920. Real property, £2,734. Pop., 422. Houses, 99. The parish contains also the township of Bramley. Acres, 2,904. Real property, £4,581. Pop., 757. Houses, 177. The property is much subdivided. Roman coins and urns have been found. The living is a rectory in the dio. of York. Value, £330.* patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English. There are two Wesleyan chapels, and charities £24.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Braithwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Doncaster. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Braithwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Braithwell, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Braithwell".