Place:


Bowland  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bowland like this:

BOWLAND-FOREST, an ancient forest on the mutual border of Lancashire and W. R. Yorkshire. It included the parishes of Mitton and Slaidburn, and part of the parish of Whalley; and belonged to the honour of Clitheroe. It contained wild deer so late as 1812; but is now enclosed and cultivated. The family of Parker, of Brownsholme Hall, have long held the office of hereditary forester.

Bowland through time

Bowland is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bowland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bowland, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11626

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bowland ".