In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boston Spa like this:
BOSTON-SPA, a village and a chapelry in Bramham parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Wharfe, ¼ of a mile SW of Thorpe-Arch r. station, and 3½ NW by W of Tadcaster; and has a post office‡ under Tadcaster. It consists of a single well-built street; and has a fine bridge over the Wharfe, three hotels, a good church with a tower, built in 1814, and a Wesleyan chapel. A saline spring here was brought into notice in 1744; has been recommended by distinguished physicians; and draws invalids and other visitors to the village as a watering-place. ...
A pump-room, hot and cold baths, and other kindred appliances are in operation; and a number of handsome residences are in the neighbourhood.The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1852. Rated property, £5,040. Pop., 1,123. Houses, 251. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £180.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Boston Spa has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Boston Spa and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boston Spa, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Boston Spa".