In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bossall like this:
BOSSALL, a township and a parish in the district of York and N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Derwent, 3 miles S of Barton-Hill r. station, and 10 N E of York. Acres, 1,090. Pop., 188. Houses, 31. -The parish extends beyond the York and Scarborough railway; has there the head post office of Flaxton Station; and includes the townships of Flaxton-on-the-Moor, Harton, Claxton, Sand-Hutton, and Butter-Crambe. Acres, 9,417. Real property, £10,657. Pop., 1,075. Houses, 215. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Butter-Crambe, in the diocese of York. Value, £445.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is a handsome cruciform edifice, with a central tower. The rectory of Flaxton and the vicarage of Sandhutton are separate benefices.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bossall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bossall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bossall, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bossall".