Place:


Bolton Percy  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bolton Percy like this:

BOLTON-PERCY, a township and a parish in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, and on the York and North Midland railway, 3½ miles ESE of Tadcaster; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Tadcaster. Acres, 2,170. Real property, £5,546. ...


Pop., 292. Houses, 51.—The parish contains also the townships of Appleton-Roebuck, Colton, and Steeton. Acres, 7,148. Real property, £13,492. Pop., 1,118. Houses, 237. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Percys of Topcliffe, and afterwards to the Beaumonts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £1,540.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is perpendicular English; was erected in 1423; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and north chapel, with a handsome tower; and contains three beautiful stalls, a well-preserved piscina, a monument to Lord Fairfax, the famous parliamentary general, and a memorial window of 1860 to Sir W. M. Milner, Bart. There are a Wesleyan chapel, three public schools, and charities £34.

Bolton Percy through time

Bolton Percy is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bolton Percy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bolton Percy, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11617

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bolton Percy ".