Place:


Castle Bolton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castle Bolton like this:

BOLTON-CASTLE, or Castle-Bolton, a township-chapelry in Wensley parish, N. R. Yorkshire; in Wensleydale, 5½ miles WNW of Leyburn r. station. Post Town, Leyburn, under Bedale. Acres, 5,160. Real property, £1,578. Pop., 259. Houses, 54. Bolton Hall is the seat of Lord Bolton; and gives him his peerage title. ...


Bolton Castle is the ruined seat of Lord Chancellor Scrope, built by him in the reign of Richard Il., at a cost of £12,000; forms a hollow quadrangle, with towers at the corners; was the prison of Mary Queen of Scots for two years before her removal to Tutbury; and sustained a siege by the parliamentarians near the end of the civil war. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Redmire, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £115. Patron, the Rector of Wensley. The church is ancient.

Castle Bolton through time

Castle Bolton is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castle Bolton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castle Bolton, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11614

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castle Bolton ".